vendredi 31 décembre 2010

A decade of comics

Most of comic-bloggers have run their Top Ten of the Decade last year. But I don't mind being late at the party and I'm not gonna list my 10 favourites of the decade but one book for each year, the one that I remember the most.
I'll keep this one in english only (lazy me), but links to my reviews written in french will be provided when they exist.
La plupart des blogueurs ont donné leur Top 10 de la décennie l'année dernière. Ça ne me dérange pas d'arriver après la guerre pour vous donner, année par année, le comics qui m'a le plus marqué. Je ne traduirai pas le reste de l'article mais je mettrai un lien vers mon commentaire Amazon correspondant, lorsqu'il existe.

2000 : JLA Earth2
Morrison -Quitely on the Justice League, a self-contained story with beautiful art, good plot and plenty of cool moments.
Bought this one for Christmas, as I was settling down in my new life as a worker (student no more).
From Batman, at the end of the story :
"I've noticed something about people who try to change the world....The world turns around and changes them right back."

2001 : Daredevil Visionaries 2
Some of my favorites DD issues packed in one book. Memories of childhood revived by flipping pages.
Bought this in Paris, talked about it with an old friend at a café, late in september. Later, this conversation would spawn an essay about Daredevil and Batman.
From the introduction by Diana Schutz :
"In every way, they (the stories) are timeless. Like the dreams of all us when we are still young. Like a friendship that lasts a lifetime."

2002 : Hang up on the hang low (100 Bullets TPB#3)
Might be the best arc of the whole series. Almost too bad it came so early in the series.
The first time Azz, Risso AND Mulvihill got together and knocked it out of the park.
A great father and son noir story.
From Curtis Hugues to Loop Hugues :
"It's how it's played that makes it so goddamn special."

2003 : Counterfifth Detective (100 Bullets TPB#5)
Very cryptic story but excellent art.
Bought this one in NYC, makes it a little more special to me.
"Who I am is Milo Garret (...) I drink too much and tip too little (...) I kick ass, and chase tail."

2004 : Preacher (the whole series)
I hadn't tried it before because the gore stuff was a bit too much for me.
Once you get past that, there's so much more to be found in this series.
I ordered and read all the TPBs in two months.
From Jesse to Tulip :
"People like you an' me don't find each other too often in this damn world."

2005 : Sleeper (the whole series)
Holden Carver is fucked-up from the start. Brubaker and Phillips make us care for him til the end.
Another Amazon reading raid and a truely good read.
From Tao to Holden :
"You are what you do. Not what you think."

2006 : Daredevil : The Devil Inside and Out
Another too strong start. If only Brubaker had kept this level on his run. It would have been legendary.
From the the Punisher to DD :
"You're hurtin' a lot, right now, Murdock, with good reason. But you don't want to be me."

2007 : The Nightly News
Jonathan Hickman created a challenging masterpiece.
"The VOICE says : it's just the beginning."

2008 : Long Cold Dark - Punisher MAX
From Frank Castle :
"The sun slipped away behind me, the last sliver seeming to pause on the horizon, then succumbing to the black. And I drove on through the shadows of America...

Through the long, cold, dark night I've made of my life."

2009 : Wildcats V2 by Joe Casey & Sean Phillips
See this post for more details.
From Jacob Marlowe :
"This world is what it is. To simply classify it is a useless endeavor. But to change it... That is the appropriate measure."


2010 : The Gnawing (Scalped)
Dash on his mother's grave :
"You told me I'd have to face up to who I am. You were right about that.
Only thing is...
who I am ain't nothing nice."

Catégorie : Blogging_Comics

Aucun commentaire: