mercredi 29 octobre 2008

My Manhattans around the world - Episode 4 : San Francisco


Until very recently, I had never had a Manhattan in the USA. During my first trip in 2003, I got to be on the East Coast (NYC, Boston) and drank all kind of stuff (mainly beers, coffee and chemical fruit juice) but no Manhattan. Yes, even while I was in Manhattan.

So, as I went back to the USA to visit the parks of the West for our honeymoon, I had this line on my to-do-list : have a Manhattan in a cocktail lounge.

I had to wait til the very last days of the trip (not many cocktail lounges in National Parks), when I was in San Francisco. There I got to meet a cousin (Hi David!) and we went to the Clock Bar, located in the lobby of the Westin St Francis, on Union Square.
My cousin took a Chartreuse Swizzle (green chartreuse, velvet falernum, pineapple,
fresh lime) and my wife had a Hemingway Daiquiri (la favorite rhum, maraschino,
fresh grapefruit, fresh lime, grapefruit bitters).
And I treated myself with an Uptown Manhattan : maker’s mark bourbon, amaro nonino,
orange bitters, cherry brandy, served up with brandied cherries and burnt orange.
The choice of amaro instead of classic vermouth was unusual. Orange bitters were a welcome change to the classic angostura.
This Manhattan was good. My first concern was the glass didn't seem to have been pre-chilled, so my drink was warming up rather quickly. Also, Maker's Mark is not my number one choice for a Manhattan. Anyway, it must have been the most sophisticated Manhattan I ever had on my trips.


Catégorie : Blogging_Cocktails

Aucun commentaire: